Saturday, January 10, 2009

The 1st two days of my working life

Reached my working place at 9.50 am as ordered(or suggested?) by my manager, Jason.
Looked for a girl named Ah Yee as suggested by Jason also. She handed me two uniforms and an apron. As I changed into the uniform, I felt a sense of accomplishment. No more procrastinating at home, no more wandering around the house like an aimless person, no more sticking to the computer because its the only thing that doesn't bore me (well, not yet). Maybe I should keep the sense of accomplishment for the moment I receive my 1st paycheck!

Ah Yee was a real help. She showed me the ropes and taught me all the rules. Thanks Ah Yee! Poor thing she has swollen eyes. She told me that it was caused by a lack of sleep as she does the night shift which is 6 pm-3 am! phew thank god i'm in the morning shift which runs from 10 am-7 pm. There's also the friendly bartender by the name of Ah Kit. His hairstyle reminds me of Teddy Geiger. Or the Click Five frontman. Don't know whats his name. He's very nice to me.

My job as a waitress requires me to set up the tables and chair, clear the mess (a "non-glamorous" job but its okay), clean the tables and arrange the utensils. Of course, serving the customers and taking orders are a must. Well,from this job I've learnt a few lessons such as, customers always comes first, you must complete every service with a smile and you have to be a quick-learner. The table numbers are quite confusing, and U CANNOT MESS UP BIG TIME by serving the wrong food or serving the food to the wrong table. Therefore, I spent my two days trying to memorise the table numbers. There are a few popular ones that I've gotten the hang of, such as 2, 5,6.7.8.11.43. 43's the routine table for three uncles who never fail to visit daily. well, ok, i've been here only two days =). And one of them has the odd habit of ordering few glasses of hot water plus some other drinks. (eg cafe latte for two consecutive days).

Sometimes I'm a little unsure about the customers enquiries and I just direct them to my supervisor/senior. My excuse is, (accompanied with a smile) , sorry miss/mr, I'm new here. =) =) =D =P haha exaggerating.

One thing that I've realised when I made quick-chat with my colleagues was most of them dont intend to further their studies. And I'm the only one , the smarty pants one, the obedient one,(well,thats what they asked me) who intends to take my education to a higher level.

Colleague(lets call her X): So are u going to study after u take ur SPM results?
Me: yup.
X: what r u gonna study?
Me: a-levels probably. although I didn't say probably. she'll "probably" look at me like I'm some Martian. apparently, chinese is the language here. i substituted probably with "gua".
X: huh? ok, now looking at me like I'm a Martian.
Me: nvm.
X:so where u intend to study?
Me: Taylors (thinking she'll probably know this, shouldn't she? she's from kl, forgodsake)
X: huh? (u-r-a-martian look)
Me: nvm. u know INTI?
X: h-u-h?
Me: erm, (getting exasperated) how bout UTAR?
X: *the dreaded huh again*
Me: sigh (silently)
X: hehe *looks embarrased* I dont know much bout education.

o-kay...looks like I'm seriously out of place here. But its okay, as long as the people are nice to me and the job is easy, well I'd take the 900+ bucks anytime.

My legs hurt thou, I've never stood for as long as this. Haha, training my hamstring, quadriceps? bio all over again *rolls eyes* haha.

P.S: i'm not allowed to take a leave for the 1st week of work. sobs. Anyway I have a punch card. I mean the clock-in clock out card,cool! =D

No comments: